The hubby has been TDY for almost 3 weeks now. This is the first TDY since little Ry was born and it has been a little trickier this time around. Ry decided he was going to change his schedule around at night after J left so it leaves this momma half awake most days. B gears up a 7 am and we start the day. 2 cups of coffee have been my friend. The first few days after they leave are always the hardest. Now that we are almost nearing the end I find myself in a routine and surprised how fast the 3 weeks flew by.
Of course we all miss J around here but while he is away…we will play! Here are some ideas that I did to make the time seem a little shorter.
1. Schedule some play-dates! B has a lot of lovely little friends and I made sure to schedule one a week the first week. It got us out of the house, I got to spend time with my mommy friends and B got tuckered out playing. It really makes the day go by faster. Staying at home all day and night can be quite long when no one comes home at night. This at least breaks up the day a little.
2. See if family or friends can visit. If you know your hubby is leaving call around and see if some one can visit. This is the perfect time! I just by chance called my mom and asked her. We didn’t think she would get the time off but she did!! She visited me for a whole week and we had a great time. I really got to spend some one on one time with her. It made that 2nd week fly by!
3. Do something fun on the weekends. The weekends are the hardest for me. That’s when we usually do things as a family. I try to get out and do something. Whether trying out a new park, going to Chuck E. Cheese, going to the movies or inviting a friend over for craft night. My friend Amber came over for a craft night and it was so fun to just sit and chat! It was something to look forward to when the weekend came.
4. Line up some crafts/projects to work on. Before J even left I made a list of all the projects I wanted to do. I went to craft stores and collected all the materials for the projects and stored them away. It really has kept me busy after the kids go to sleep. I even planned a few for B.
5. If you can plan a fun trip. This one is a little crazy but it was totally fun. When my mom came into town we went to Disneyland. We stayed for four days and we had a blast. It was so fun exploring Disneyland with B and playing in the pool. It was exhausting trying to navigate the park with a 3 year old and 4 month old but totally worth it. We made some wonderful memories with my mom. Even just going for a day would give you something to look forward to. I know all the planning and packing for Disney kept me very preoccupied!! Don’t forget to check with ITT for discounted tickets.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. I still have a problem with this. It is so hard for me to ask for help. I don’t want to be a bother to anyone. I complain to J instead. What did he do? He asked for help for me. He asked his boss and his family has been a lifesaver! They watched my two for me while I had to go to a no kid allowed preschool function and he even offered to watch them so I could go to my photography class. My other friend checked on the dogs and house for me while we were gone. I will be forever grateful to them!
I hope this list helps other moms out there. It can be hard while the hubby is away. Some days harder than others and can be just outright exhausting, especially when no family is around. Try to make it fun and know you can get through this! Nap time or bed time is just a few hours away;)